Fluoride blocks cavities by forming a more acid-resistant surface layer. Our office uses fluoride varnish topically. Once the fluoride varnish is applied to the teeth, it enters the tooth enamel and makes the tooth "hard" and more resistant to acid attack. Fluoride has been proven to prevent new cavities and slow down or stop decay from getting worse. It can also reverse a cavity that is just starting.
Advantages of Fluoride Varnish:
- Less fluoride is ingested with a fluoride varnish than with conventional office caries treatments because the fluoride adheres to the tooth surface for longer periods of time.
- Fluoride varnish releases fluoride for up to 28 weeks. Two-thirds of the fluoride is released by 6 months.
- Teeth do not need to be professionally cleaned prior to varnish application.
- Children can eat and drink immediately after application.
- Fluoride varnish can prevent decay in both smooth surface and pit and groove site.
- No trays are used, which prevents gagging.
- It is fast and easy!